Seniors: be sure to read and review all the information on this page regarding scholarship requirements and captain responsibilities!
Team Captain Responsibilities
Becoming a team captain is a tremendous honor and privilege that you should be extremely proud of. However; with this new role, comes a great deal of responsibility. You are no longer just a member of the team. As a captain, the team’s goals and interests must come before your own. Leadership is not always easy and sometimes, in order to be successful, you may have to make difficult decisions to improve your team. The following is a list of our captains’ responsibilities:
- To provide leadership, direction, and motivation to all team members.
- To model behaviors consistent with team philosophy, goals, & expectations.
- To demonstrate a diligent work ethic. LEAD BY EXAMPLE!
- To always maintain a positive attitude.
- To serve, when necessary, as a liaison between individual team members or between team members and the coaching staff.
- To organize and attend summer captains’ practices several times per week. Take attendance and effectively communicate with all team members regarding time, location, workouts, etc…
- To plan, organize, execute, and actively participate in various team functions (dinners, fundraisers, clothing sales, etc)
- To organize and lead daily stretching, warm-up drills, and cool-down activities.
- To share with other team members their knowledge of the rules, principles, and strategies of cross country competition.
- To recognize and respect the individuality of each team member regardless of ability or level with the express purpose of making each team member genuinely feel of equal importance with each and every other team member.
- To model and champion excellence in all phases of the total high school experience.
Scholarships will be awarded to select Goshen Cross Country athletes who have met the below requirements. If interested, please be aware of all requirements and be sure to apply in the GHS guidance office.
To be eligible:
- Student-athletes must be in good standing (academically and behaviorally).
- Athletes must be a member of the team for the duration of their senior year.
- Athletes must apply by filling out the application through GHS guidance and submitting application/required essay by the due date.
- Student-athletes must have plans to continue their education, partake in military service, or vocational training.
Rankings (based on the following)
- Attendance (summer practices/regular practices, meets, team events, fundraising, etc…)
- Performance /Work Ethic/Goals (setting/achieving)
- Number of seasons participating in XC
- Essay submission
Scholarships will be awarded to the top 3 ranked boys and top 3 ranked girls.
- The top rated boy & girl will be awarded $1000 each
- The 2nd rated boy & girl will be awarded $500 each
- The 3rd rated boy & girl will be awarded $250 each
- If there is not a 2nd or 3rd applicant, money will be rolled over into the following year.
- If additional funds are available, additional athletes may be awarded scholarships as long as requirements have been met.
Coaches’ Scholarship Rubric
|Number of seasons participating in XC (.5)||Athlete has been a member of XC for 4 years||Athlete has been a member of XC for 3 years||Athlete has been a member of XC for 2 years||Athlete has been a member of XC for 1 year|
|Attendance: (regular season practices, meets (2.0)||Athlete attended practice & meets 100% of the time||Athlete attended practice & meets 85% of the time||Athlete attended practice & meets 65% of the time||Athlete attended practice & meets <50% of the time|
|Attendance: summer/pre-season practices (1.0)||Athlete attended summer/pre-season practices 100% of the time||Athlete attended summer/pre-season practices 85% of the time||Athlete attended summer/pre-season practices 65% of the time||Athlete attended summer/pre-season practices <50% of the time|
|Athlete always displays good sportsmanship & took an active leadership role||Athlete displays good sportsmanship & stepped up to lead the team when necessary||Athlete displays good sportsmanship most of the time||Athlete seldomly displays good sportsmanship|
|Performance /Work Ethic/Goal Oriented (1.5)||Athlete always works to the best of his/her ability, striving to achieve goals and often exceeding goals||Athlete works to the best of his/her ability most of the time, striving to achieve goals||Athlete puts forth effort sometimes, but is inconsistent and loses focus of goals||Athlete does not put forth sufficient effort and is not goal oriented|
|Essay (1.0)(average together ratings as determined by coaches & scholarship committee)||Essay is well-written, well-organized & demonstrates how their experience running XC has influenced them citing several personal examples. Essay also shows examples of physical, emotional and intellectual growth.||Essay is well-written, well-organized & demonstrates how their experience running XC has influenced them but does not cite personal examples. Essay shows some physical, emotional and intellectual growth.||Essay contains a few spelling/ grammar errors & demonstrates how their experience running XC has influenced them but does not cite personal examples. Essay shows limited physical, emotional and intellectual growth.||Essay contains grammar/spelling errors, is not organized, does not clearly demonstrates how their experience running XC has influenced them. Essay does not show physical, emotional and intellectual growth.|